Walberton Nursery are a family run wholesale ornamental plant grower in West Sussex, who have been operating since 1973. It’s diverse and skilled team of 45+ staff produce in excess of 1 million plants for the garden centre market each year.
The newly created role of Grower Manager will deliver the diverse growing requirements of Walberton’s commercial crops, overseeing all growing functions, and contributing to the cost effective supply of product to a professional standard. The total growing area is in excess of 14 acres, producing 1.1 million pots per year with a turnover of £3.2 million. The approximate number of people reporting to the Grower Manager is 7, made of up Growers and Trainee Growers.
A summary of tasks and responsibilities is shown below:
- Effectively managing growing teams, systems and resources to produce crops of optimal quality at the right time, by specifying, monitoring and giving technical guidance
- Carrying out regular crop walks to identify cultural requirements and monitor pest and disease
- Ensuring all growing environments are effectively controlled and crops manipulated to ensure sales timings and targets are achieved, and waste percentages reduced
- Contributing to the upholding of accreditation standards such as OHAS, LEAF and Waitrose Farm Assessment
- Continually improving the efficiency of the growing processes and labour efficiency
- Liaising with internal departments to ensure facilities and equipment are in good working order, and pests and diseases are identified and dealt with at the earliest opportunity
- Daily on the ground health and safety support
- Using horticultural production software to input data and reference production plans
- Use of Microsoft Office programmes, in particular Excel and PIVOT tables
- Participating in Strategic Projects, Working Groups and Committees within the Farplants Group
- Chairing weekly Grower Meetings
- Participating in the weekend duty rota
- Line managing staff, taking responsibility for yearly appraisals, training needs and disciplinary matters
- Fostering a culture of good communication within the business and assisting staff in building effective teams
The position is full time, averaging a minimum of 41 hours per week across the year. 31 days holiday per year pro rata, inclusive of Bank Holidays. Salary £38,037 to £47,845 per annum, depending on skills and experience, plus a minimum of £1900 in additional benefits each year.
Candidates must have a number of years growing experience in production horticulture; will preferably hold a qualification in commercial Horticulture to a minimum of Level 3, or equivalent; will have excellent attention to detail; be good leaders and motivators of people in order to build strong teams.
Apply for the job here: https://www.tristramplants.co.uk/job/grower-manager-walberton-nursery/