What is BOPP and why does it make a difference?
All Farplants nurseries and the finishing centre meet the strict requirements of the BOPP scheme. As such, we are proud to display the BOPP logo and promote the benefits of the scheme. Here is a short overview so you can see what is involved.
What is BOPP?
The British Ornamental Plant Procedure (BOPP) scheme, was launched in 1996 and sets high standards in legal, environmental and quality practises for the industry. It is governed by the HTA (Horticultural Trades Association) and the management committee is made up of industry peers, including Farplants. As a result of being a part of the committee, we help shape the strategy, management and direction of the scheme. This ensures we support the group meet their aim to improve standards for the benefit of suppliers, retailers and the environment.
What do you have to do?
There are different categories within BOPP; grower, packhouse and growing media producer. To see if the standards are meet, an audit is conducted every year by an unbiased UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) certification body. This is done in season so all processes and procedures are assessed.
The audit covers a wide range of areas:
- Senior Management Commitment
- Cultivation (grower standard only)
- Quality Management Systems
- Product development
- Site Standards
- Physical Product Contamination
- Trading Conditions
- Staff Training and Employment
- Health & Safety
What is the benefit of BOPP?
Achieving the BOPP accreditation shows our commitment to best practise. It also provides garden retailers and suppliers with assurance that we have:
- Legal compliance
- Full traceability from customer back to grower
- Pesticide use, storage and management that meets stringent standards
- Managed and controlled fertiliser use
- Stringent customer complaints procedures
- Sustainable production
- Given consideration to biodiversity and the environment
- Fair and respectable treatment towards staff
Wherever you see the BOPP logo, you can be sure the grower is leading the way on quality standards and supply chain accountability.